Wednesday, March 2, 2011

Dear Chase 3/2/11 - First Grade Growing Pains

Dear Chase-Man,

Man has it been a crazy week. You lost your very first tooth on Monday. You crashed off your bike on Tuesday, and knocked another one loose. Then you went to the Dentist today and found out you actually knocked THREE teeth loose.

You also had the misfortune of having me Sub in your class. And I didn't like what I saw.

Your teacher and I agree on a few things. First, you are amazingly smart. Second, you are currently doing only the bare minimum to get by, and sometimes not even that. And Third, you are border-line disrespectful and a little lazy.

Why is that? Chase, you are so amazing in so many ways. You are smart - you look at questions and problems in different ways many times. You are hilarious - you make me laugh all the time. You make lots of people laugh all the time. You are brave and fearless. You are outgoing and charming and sweet. You have a wonderfully huge heart, and I love how you feel things so personally (like I do.) You are a special and unique kid.

One time a few years ago, when you were maybe 3, someone told me: "He's that kid. he's that kid that everyone else is going to want to be friends with." And she's right.

So what's up at school? Is it because your sister has been having so many successes and accolades lately? Because if it is, then you need to let that go.

You and Karlin are very, VERY different people. She has strengths in different areas that you do. And you are strong in things she's not. She has 3 years on you too, meaning she has been exposed to a lot more, and has had more opportunities presented to her.

But let me tell you what, Chase-man: you are your own person. You can make your own mark. No one has to think of you as "Karlin's little brother." Don't let anything she does or doesn't do influence how YOU do - the decisions you make. You are YOU, and no one else can be you.

Your teacher, your father, and I are going to be cracking down on you more in the coming weeks. We see all the potential you have, and we want you to rise to that challenge. We want you to give your all, and to achieve all that you can.

On a personal level, I want you to be more respectful and more polite. You are a good boy, not some punk kid. Don't take your cues from the obnoxious kids. Take your cues from your Dad, and from me.

I realize that you need different motivational strategies, and I'm going to do my best to find what works best for you. In a few years people will be saying "Oh that girl? That's Chase Edward's older sister." Teachers are going to want you in their classes. You will emerge as your own star.

Because you are amazing. I know it. I want YOU to know it. And I want you to show everyone else how special you are.

My smart, funny, brave, fearless little Chase-man.

No comments:

Post a Comment